Courtesy of Hayley Granton [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
After working hard for many years, illness retirement is a time for relaxation and enjoyment. Take advantage of the many benefits offered for those who are considered “senior.” Listed below are the top 10 senior citizen discounts available in the United States.
1. AARP – AARP can help those 50 years and older save. From health related discounts (vision, ambulance hearing, even prescriptions) to automobile rentals discounts up to 30% off and more, there is something for everyone. An annual membership including your spouse is $16.
2. National Park and Federal Recreations Lands Pass – For those at least 62 years old, a lifetime pass is available for $10. This pass allows you entry into over 2,000 national parks and wildlife refuges all over the country. You can visit places like the Grand Canyon or the Great Smoky Mountains.
3. Amtrak – For those who do not like to drive, travel via train with Amtrak. If you are 62 years and older, you could obtain a 15% discount.
4. Hotels – If you need somewhere affordable to stay, Comfort Inn offers discounts up to 30% for those 60 years and older.
5. Restaurants – Dining at Applebee’s could save you up to 15% if you are 55 years or older.
6. Bank Accounts – If you live in the southeast, Regions Bank has a special 62+ Lifegreen checking account. Monthly fees are waived with direct deposit (like Social Security). Traveler’s checks fees are waived and safety deposit box fees are also discounted by 50%.
7. Cell Phone Plans – Verizon has a 200 minute monthly plan available for under $30, specifically for those 65 years or older. As with any Verizon plan, it is free if you call another Verizon customer, which is great if your family or friends have Verizon.
8. Movie tickets – If you are at least 55 years, you can receive a discount with AMC Theaters up to 30%.
9. Department stores – If you shop at Kohl’s on Wednesdays, those 60 years or older can get 15% off.
10. Grocery stores – For everyday living, Kroger offers a 5% discount every Wednesday.
Keep in mind that discounts may vary by region, so it is always a good idea to check with your nearby location to confirm the details of the discounts listed above. If you have a favorite place you enjoy, think about checking with them to see if they have any special discounts for senior citizens. It never hurts to ask.