Caregiving can be stressful under any circumstance. But when certain situations arise, oftentimes unexpectedly, even the most organized brothers and sisters can be thrown into turmoil. Perhaps you’ve encountered these caregiving hot-button issues in your own family.
1. Illness: A senior loved one who becomes ill or faces declining health can leave a family facing all sorts of potentially difficult issues. Family members’ differing opinions and the changing needs of a senior can exacerbate the situation.
2. Money: Money matters often complicate life for seniors as well as their adult children. Families can be forced to make tough caregiving decisions when their loved ones’ finances factor into the equation.
3. Inheritance: While some families contend with a lack of funds to provide care for their loved ones, others have the temptation of a family inheritance influencing their decisions.
4. Distance: While absence may make the heart grow fonder, it certainly doesn’t make life easier for a family caregiver. The siblings who live in the same town or city as their parents may be stuck with most of the caregiver work.
5. Stress: Life is stressful and family caregiving oftentimes makes it more so. Adult caregivers who have started a new job, are raising children or caring for their own spouse can soon become overwhelmed when elderly family members need help. Those who are bearing the brunt of caregiving may resent siblings who are unable or unwilling to help.
There are many other issues that can cause strife for adult siblings who are caring for their parents. Home Instead Senior Care’s new 50-50 RuleSM program for siblings includes a guide of family situations and practical advice on ways to address those situations and additional resources at SolvingFamilyConflict.com.
Please contact your local Home Instead Senior Care office for more information or to schedule a no-cost in-home consultation to learn more about how we can help you and your parents.
Comments Off on Sibling Caregiver Hot Buttons
National 2011 ALFA Conference & Expo ~ April 5-7 in Orlando @ The Gaylord Palms.
We will be there representing our advertisers! Come by our booth and say hello.
26 sessions with 11.5 CEU’s, hundreds of companies, network with fellow senior living professionals, learn the newest operational approaches…and so much more.
Comments Off on We’ll be at ALFA in Orlando!
The Florida Assisted Living Association (FALA) is a strong, unified, professional organization representing the owners and operators of assisted living communities. In today’s world every professional must have an advocate that promotes the interests and goals of its members and that serves as a watchdog for initiatives that run contrary to the mission and goals of its members. Assisted living is what FALA is all about. Who we represent is crystal clear. Our membership is comprised of facilities ranging in size from those who care for a few individuals to those that care for hundreds. Big, small, for-profit and not-for profit there is a place for every type of ALF operated in Florida. When you join FALA you are joining the largest network of assisted living providers in Florida.
MARCH MEETINGS – HILLBOROUGH & PINELLAS COUNTIES
Go to our on line event calendar to view FALA meeting, as well as, many other industry events, seminars, expo’s and educational events.
Comments Off on
For 30 years we have championed quality of life for seniors. Come experience Sunrise for yourself by touring our communities, from the suites of actual residents to our flowering gardens. There’s no better way to learn what makes Sunrise such a great place to live.
Join us Friday – Sunday, March 18-20, 2011
Click on one of the following links to find a Sunrise community near you and schedule your Spring Tour.
Tour one of our communities during Sunrise’s Spring Tour weekend and move in by April 30, 2011 to receive your third month rent free!*
Learn about designing rooms for seniors with memory loss by reading Rita Altman’s latest Huffington Post blog. Rita is Sunrise’s National Director of Memory Care Services.
*Official Program Rules: English & French. Restrictions and conditions apply. Program rules are available at participating Sunrise communities. Promotion applies to base fee/rent for suite in third month at Sunrise; promotion does not include move-in fees, service fees or other care charges. Offer subject to community capacity.
Comments Off on Sunrise Senior Living Hosts Spring Tour of Homes and Gardens