March 14, 2018
By: Darleen Mahoney
Are you searching for senior housing for yourself or a loved one? Are you pre-planning for your future and would like a few tips in the right direction to make sure that you are set when the time comes to make that jump to retirement living? Are you realizing its very tough to navigate with all the options, budgets, locations and what levels of care senior communities offer their residents?
Here are some tips to get you started to make sure that you are headed in the right direction and you cover all your bases in clearing out the senior housing “clutter”:
- Know what type of housing you need-this is by far the first and most important step. Knowing what you want now and will need down the road based on current medical conditions is key. There are many types of senior housing and facilities available including the following:
- Retirement Communities
- Continuing Care Communities
- Assisted Living Communities with Skilled Nursing
- Memory Care Facilities
- Home Care
- Budget– Knowing how much you will have available to spend on living expenses each month will be the next biggest factor. The price ranges vary significantly based on a variety of factors. You may be able to include meals, utilities, and taxes with your monthly senior living expense. You also need to do some in depth research into the financial resources that are available to you and can help. There may be financial assistance such as long-term care insurance or benefits for veterans and their surviving spouses.
- Location– Are you planning on staying close to home to be near your family or considering a move to popular retirement mecca’s? There are areas of the country that are hot spots for active adults who retire to their vacation destinations or seek to retire in locations where the landscape is optimal, beaches are nearby, and the weather is more to their liking for their retirement options.
- Must Haves– What do you want in senior housing? Regardless of whether you are looking into active adult to memory care, there are many options that you should not only prioritize, but find out what they may be. There should be a list of non-negotiable items that you must have and a “wish list”. They may include social activities, housing design, meal plans, to levels of skilled nursing care available.
- Websites– Beginning your search online for senior living communities in the location that you have determined with the senior living community or facility that you would like to live in can give you a bird’s eye view of what is available to you in one place. If you would like a simple search solution online, a website like seniorlivingguide.com has most senior living communities and facilities in a one stop website offering you the option to look at each individual community within one website. You are able to learn about their amenities, services, the levels of care available, visit their social media and save each individuals community information to your favorites. You are also able to go directly to their website to contact them to find out more information and schedule a visit. It will save you time and confusion from visiting multiple websites with multiple search queries.
- Facebook– It’s important to visit an individual communities Facebook page. You can look at of their photos and engagement with their posts. It gives you a good idea of the activities and general interaction with the staff that is going on in the community.
- Visit– Go visit the community in person, it might be advantageous to take a friend or family member. Take mental notes and even write them down of how the residents and the staff interact with each other. What is the general feeling that you get while you are in the community? Are residents active? Are they engaged? Or are they sitting quietly and out of sight? What types of safety measures are taking place, do you feel like the community/facility is clean? Can you envision yourself living there?
- Review and Review– Once you have narrowed down your best options, continue to review them with pros and cons. Double check the online reviews as well before making your final decision.
- Consult an Attorney– Always seek the advice of legal counsel, this type of commitment can be complicated, and mistakes can be very expensive. Legal counsel can help you navigate the retirement community contracts so that you understand your contract before you sign anything.
While this is not a simple process, it is an important to make sure that you follow each step to ensure that you make the right decision. Whether you are moving into an active adult community in sunny Florida where you dream of drinking pina coladas ocean side or Texas or California or staying in your hometown where you raised your family, or a memory care facility for your loved one, senior housing should be well thought out and well planned.
January 16, 2013
Welcome to a community experience that is truly one of a kind! Twin Lakes offers a lifestyle that includes the finest in luxury accommodations and amenities, sovaldi sale the convenience of an extensive package of services and the assurance of quality on-site health services, tadalafil should you ever need them.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116145044
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Twin Lakes Senior Living Community 9840 Montgomery Rd Cincinnati, OH 45242
Overlooking Mt. Airy Forest, seek the self-contained campus features 120 acres teeming with wildlife, gardens, walking trails and picturesque landscapes. Twin Towers offers a variety of amenities including an aquatic and fitness center, art gallery, chapel, casual and formal dining venues, park – just to name a few.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116143913
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Twin Towers 5343 Hamilton Avenue Cincinnati, OH 45224
Something for everyone. One look at Rydal Park, view the Philadelphia area’s premier continuing care retirement community, sickness and you’ll see you can have it all. No matter what your tastes are, decease senior living is just better here — with more convenience and choice today, and secure, continuing care for tomorrow.
Wow. Really? The reigning Iron Chef of Pennsylvania winner creates our menus. We have floor plans in every size and style, many brand-new. We’re surrounded by nature, but just steps from grocery shopping, the Rydal train station, and all of Philadelphia’s best attractions. We’re located in Abington Township, once again voted one of the best places to live by Money magazine. All this and more is waiting for you at Rydal Park.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116131216
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Rydal Park 1515 The Fairway Rydal, PA 19046
With private apartment homes designed to reflect the distinctive architectural features of the surrounding residences, there dining venues and menus that offer the pleasures of homecooked meals, online and a community centered on Christian values, Beacon Hill At Eastgate combines a maintenance-free lifestyle with all the vitality of neighborhood life.
We offer 13 fantastic floor plans with a variety of amenities that will make any of these the perfect home.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116125525
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Beacon Hill At Eastgate 1845 Boston Street Southeast Grand Rapids, MI 49506
The Ella Smither Center has served Huntsville seniors for over 25 years as a nonprofit, rx 24-hour skilled care community that is nestled into a wooded hill near the historic home of Sam Houston, remedy hero of the Texas Revolution.
Our reputation is built on offering wonderful experiences for our residents and their families. We put our heart into everything we do so that our residents get the most out of each day. Offering professional nursing care, short-term rehab, specialized therapies, and a committed staff allows us to create an environment that keeps our residents safe, secure, and happy too.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116124357
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Towncreek Retirement Community 1115 Avenue O Huntsville, TX 77340
Inspired by the faith and vision of many local leaders, generic MRC PineCrest provides gracious living for senior adults in a vibrant and growing community. Since opening in 1992, health PineCrest is the only Continuing Care Retirement Community in East Texas providing a full range of residential options. These options allow residents and their families to take comfort in knowing that when their needs may change, PineCrest offers the assurance of quality care for a lifetime. Our residents will tell you, “there is no place like home.” Come visit PineCrest, and be inspired to live life abundantly.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116123231
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Pinecrest Retirement Community 1302 Tom Temple Drive Lufkin, TX 75904
The current 25-acre community of residential apartment homes, viagra assisted living apartments, treat skilled nursing & rehab units and home health is in the process of being redeveloped into a state-of-the-art Life Care retirement community called Arbor Oaks at Crestview. Offering a maintenance-free, amenity-filled lifestyle consisting of new and larger residential apartment homes, assisted living apartments, specialty memory support apartments for dementia, skilled nursing & rehab units and home health. For more information on this new Life Care community, please call (979) 774-9938. This community additionally offers over 200 federally-subsidized apartments for seniors on a fixed income, a mission that will continue.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116121245
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Crestview Retirement Community 2505 E. Villa Maria Road Bryan, TX 77802
Located in Texarkana, decease Texas on a beautifully landscaped campus Cornerstone is committed to quality living for senior adults in a Christian environment.
We invite you to join our pursuit for excellence in senior living, salve where exciting programs and services empower senior adults to live life to its fullest in a variety of settings; including residential homes or apartments, store assisted living apartments, memory support centers offering Alzheimer’s and other dementia service and care, health care units and home health services.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116115746
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Cornerstone Retirement Community 4100 Moores Lane Texarkana, TX 75503
Older Posts »
Morningside Ministries’ newest community, Menger Springs, is located north of San Antonio in the scenic Hill Country town of Boerne, Texas. Recognized as a premiere place to retire by both Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and Time magazines, Boerne is easily accessible to the exciting cultural and sporting events of San Antonio. The Menger Springs community has been recognized for its architectural and natural beauty, as well as its excellent cuisine and full complement of services.
View the full listing here – http://www.seniorlivingguide.com/DB/facilities.tpl?sku=20130116094531
Comments Off on New Listing Alert – Morningside Ministries at Menger Springs Grand Loop Boerne, TX 78006